Being one of the highest skyscrapers in the world, it’s no wonder how Taipei 101 is one of the most sought out destination of tourists in Taiwan. But for us, it is just crazy going to the top of Taipei 101’s observatory as it is so expensive. It costs around 700-800 NTD to go up to the 89th floor. There’s a catch though, you will be riding the fastest elevator in the world. Yes! In the world! With a speed of 37.7 mph, no wonder you will reach the top for only 30 seconds. Plus, you can go to the 91st floor for the Outdoor Observatory which can be reached through stairs from the 89th floor. But, it is only open on favorable weather. If it the wind and rain are too strong, they usually close it for safety purposes. But still, it is very expensive and you’re just paying for the fastest elevator and the view at the top. However, if you’re really curious of how the Taipei 101 was built, then you should definitely go to their observatory at the 89th floor where it houses a museum where you can learn about the 101’s design process and construction of other similar skyscrapers from all over the world.
Well, if you find this too expensive and not worth of your time, there’s another alternative for you. You might want to go instead to Starbucks at Taipei 101 which is located at the 35th floor. Actually, you can have the same view of the city and it’s way cheaper. Yet, there are rules in order for one to get there. Below are some of the important reminders, information, and tips on how to get to Starbucks in Taipei 101.
- You need to have a reservation for at least one day in advance. You can call them at +886 2 8101 0701.
- On your scheduled reservation, you need to be there at least 10 minutes earlier.
- Do not lose your reservation number or at least, take note of it.
- Once you get there, you will probably see a line at the lobby and a Starbuck’s staff will appear at the scheduled time with an attendance sheet and will ask you for the reservation number / name then they’ll give you a number.
- Before, the one who gets out of the elevator first will have a chance to get to the window seats, but now, the order of people getting in the restaurant depends on the number they will give to you.
- The minimum amount to spend is 200 NTD per person with a time limit of 90 minutes to stay and enjoy the view.
- No shorts and slippers allowed. So you need to be on a proper dress code.
- Last reservation slot is 90 minutes before closing time.
- The Starbuck’s staff are mainly Mandarin-speaking so it might be better to have someone who can speak the language to reserve for you.
- If you’re planning to get the window seats, you should have your reservation a week before so that you will be on the first few who can get in first.
- Use the right entrance. Going to the mall entrance will never get you here. From the MRT Station, walk towards Exit 4, then take the elevator going to the main entrance of the Taipei 101.
- When we called the reservation, it took us almost forever to get the phone answered. So it’s better to call around 17:00 – 18:30 when it’s almost closing time. Never ever call on weekends.
- When your time is up, you can go around on the 35th floor, where you can see another view of the city.
ADDRESS: No. 13, Building 35, Xinyi Road, Xinyi District, Taipei City (35th Floor, Taipei 101 Building)
OPENING HOURS: 07:30 – 19: 30 (Monday to Friday) 10:00 – 18:00 (Saturday to Sunday)
TELEPHONE NUMBER: 02-8101-0701
The view from Starbucks is just as good as going up to the 89th floor, so it is a fine alternative if you don’t want to spend too much just to get a better view of the city. But if you have more time, you can get the best view of the whole city and even the Taipei 101 at the Elephant Mountain.